Tuesday, August 26, 2008

JAYCI JOY'S JOURNAL OF MIRACLES (part 2)

December 18, 2007

HIDEE!
Sorry to keep this email so short – our internet is not working very well.
I just wanted everyone to know I am home and finished with chemo! YAY!
I am a little sick and had to go to the doctor today because I cannot quit throwing up and have had diarrhea for the past few days. Dr. Regueira said I have to keep drinking because if I get dehydrated I’ll have to stay in the hospital for a couple days – I don’t want to do that – especially since Christmas is around the corner. I’ve lost a pound since last Thursday too. Would you please pray for me to feel better. We’ve been praying too but know things get better much quicker when all of you pray with us. Other than that things are GREAT! I know most of my colors now and am repeating quite a few more things – I’m even starting to put 2-3 words together. I love all of you and will email again before Christmas – maybe I’ll send pictures too.
Love,
Jayci Joy


December 13, 2007

Today is my last day of chemo EVER!!! HOORAY!!!!!!!!!! My bloodcounts are good and we are checked in at BSA just waiting on my chemo to arrive. I got to deliver the little car we are donating to the hospital to Lizzie this afternoon – I even wore my Santa Hat and said “Ho Ho” for her! Tanya did such a good job decorating the car for me! I’ll send pictures of it as well as my ceiling tile soon. All of my friends made a beautiful last day poster for me and they are making this stay extra special. I’m taking lots of pictures and will share them with you when mom gets them all ready.
We got more great news this morning. Dr. Turner said this may be it for me. . .meaning if the tests we due around Jan. 3rd show the tumor is dead I won’t even have to have surgery!!! They’ll just monitor me by doing bloodwork and follow-up testing once each month for the next 6 months. If all is well my port will be removed in July!
Our “Journey of Faith” is almost over. . .like I told you all before; I got the best Christmas present this year!
It won’t be long ‘til you open an email from me that says I’m CANCER FREE!
Then it will be PARTY TIME!
“The JOY of the Lord is (and will continue to be) our strength.”
Thank you so much for your extra prayers!
We’ll email an update and pictures after we get home tomorrow.
Love,
Jayci Joy


December 5, 2007

With a little luck tomorrow will be Jayci’s last day of chemo ever. We go in the morning to check her bloodwork. If it is good, we will have a one day round with only two drugs. She should take it well. It is possible that we will have to do a bunch of tests to evaluate her progress on Friday but most likely they will wait for a couple of weeks until this round has taken effect. She looks and feels great right now. She is learning so much so fast that we sometimes just stare at her with smiles on our faces and a tear in our eyes.
We will try to update tomorrow. Thanks to you all, because of our great support, prayers, and a God that is so full of love and kindness, we believe that we will soon be announcing that our little girl is cancer free.
Love,
Guy and Kimberly


November 25, 2007

We had a wonderful Thanksgiving and are sad to see it come to an end. We had many things to be thankful for this year. . .our little miracle in particular. She is doing great! It was awesome to watch her interact with family over the weekend. She was a perfect angel - content playing by herself but enjoyed the company of anyone who wished to join her.
We were sad to turn so many visitors away during the holiday weekend and really sad Jayci didn’t get to see any of her cousins. As all of you know Jayci just completed her last big round of chemo one week ago and although the weather did not permit getting bloodwork done last Friday, we were all but certain her blood counts were low and the risk of infection was too great for company. We’re very sorry to all who we had to tell no. Jayci has come so far and the end is in sight. We are confident Christmas will be the right time for celebration and visitors. We cannot wait to show her off! GOD IS GREAT!
I will take Jayci to get her bloodwork done in the morning after speech therapy – I think the therapist will be very impressed with our little parrot! She is learning all her colors (yellow is still her favorite) and is doing a pretty good job counting to 5. She can name all her body parts and knows just about every animal sound there is – the cow and horse are still her favorite; the way she carries her little horse and cow around the house is adorable! It’s wonderful to be able to communicate with her now – she DEFINITELY understands everything we say! She’ll continue speech, physical, occupational, and developmental therapy until she gets a clean bill of health – we just want to make certain nothing gets in her way – she is learning so fast!
Daddy has been a HUGE help this week! I finally finished putting up Christmas decorations this afternoon and Guy said he’d try to finish outside in the next couple days. Jayci absolutely loves them! The little, pink tree her Nickels’ cousins gave her is definitely her favorite; she is constantly redecorating it! We had her picture made with it at Gramma’s house this weekend. When the proofs are ready I’ll share them with you – I think they’ll be precious!
We hope you all had a wonderful Thanksgiving!
Thank you for your continued prayers!
I’ll email some pictures soon!
God Bless You,
Kimberly


November 19, 2007

HIDEE! We made it home Sunday afternoon in time to hang some outdoor Christmas lights and enjoy the BEAUTIFUL weather. Hanging lights was so much fun; I even climbed up the ladder to help daddy on the roof when mama wasn’t’ looking! Too bad she caught me on the fourth step! They were both proud to see I’m balanced and strong enough to climb ladders again. I’m doing so good! My speech is incredible – I’m like a little parrot! – my balance improves daily and my personality is absolutely precious! I melt just about every person’s heart I meet! Jesus has been so good to me. Mama and Daddy told me I only have to go through 1 more day of chemo on Dec. 6th then maybe a little surgery and I’ll be CANCER FREE! That’s the best news I’ve heard in my whole life!
This past weekend’s round of chemo went great! The only bad thing about it was it took place during the middle of the night which meant we didn’t get very much sleep. Daddy and Mama said that was a minor thing and we should be THANKFUL that was the ONLY thing we wished could have been different. I did not have any bad reactions to the chemo and never got sick! In fact I did not have any sickness or negative reactions to ANYTHING! Thank you so much for your prayers – because of them I’m doing wonderful!
I enjoyed visiting with all my friends while I was in the hospital. It was the first time I let all of them hold me, play with me, and even let Lizzie take me to the playroom to get some toys and hats – I was very sweet to all of them! I also got to paint a ceiling tile to hang in the hospital this time. Daddy and I kinda had a wreck going and Mama wasn’t’ sure she liked it very much – thank goodness Gramma and Grammy Ju found Tanya (cousin Amberlee’s mom) – she came and fixed it – now I have the BEST TILE in the hall! All the nurses and doctors LOVED IT! THANK YOU TANYA!
I hope everyone has a wonderful Thanksgiving. I’m going to spend it with family.
Mama and Daddy have been talking to me about Thanksgiving and it’s significance. Together we came up with the atttached list (with a slideshow) of things we’re thankful for this Thanksgiving and I wanted to share it with you.
I love you all!
God Bless,
Jayci Joy


November 10, 2007

HIDEE! Hope everyone had a HAPPY HALLOWEEN! I sure did! I was a cute, little ballerina – thank goodness Brenna came by to give me a Halloween present when my mom was getting me dressed; mom had me looking more like Junie B. Jones in 15 shades of pink, mismatched tights, and a tutu that stuck straight up! Brenna was kind enough to take over and had me looking pretty darn cute in about 10 minutes! THANK YOU BRENNA! I thought trick-or-treating was GREAT! I especially liked walking up people’s sidewalks and visiting with them – they all were so nice to me. Thanks to everyone for the cool stuff! Mama really liked the cool hairbows and stuff Stacie and her family sent me from Tennessee. (I’m wearing the Halloween hairbow with the denim outfit in the attached pictures.)
This week has been wonderful! I got to play with my Nickels cousins on Monday, my friend, Braileigh, yesterday, and I got to visit Gramma’s school today! I just LOVE playing with other kids, especially ones close to my size! Kole even came and played in my tent with me – he isn’t close to my age but sometimes he likes to pretend he is!
Mama is feeling better – finally! She went back to the doctor Tuesday and found out her bloodwork still is not good. Thank goodness she doesn’t have Hepatitis though! She is having an ultrasound done on her gallbladder in the morning – the doctor said it’s possible it could be what’s making her bloodwork messed up. We are all praying she just had a weird virus that took a long time to get over – she isn’t as tough as I am when it comes to doctors and hospitals you know!
I go for a 3 day round of chemo next Thursday. I’m not looking forward to it but Mama and Daddy keep reminding me I only have 2 rounds to go before I get to have all my tests redone around Christmas time. We all have faith my tumor is going to be small enough to remove or just be gone! Jesus continues to work miracles in our lives daily and we know He is saving his greatest gift for the most special time of the year. I think it’s so cool that I’m going to receive the greatest gift of all this year – NO MORE CANCER!
We thank you for your continued prayers! Jesus is listening!
I’ll make sure Mama and Daddy update you during chemo next week. Please say some extra prayers for me! Chemo is nothing with Jesus by my side!
I LOVE YOU BUNCHES!
Jayci Joy


October 30, 2007

HIDEE! Sorry Mama hasn’t taken the time to write you guys very much lately – she’s been pretty sick you know. Thank goodness she’s starting to feel better and with any luck she’ll be good as new in a week or two. J We sure did appreciate all the yummy food from the ladies at Gramma’s school and Mema Betty – Daddy and I just love opening the freezer and pulling out a delicious meal whenever we want! We also really appreciate the house cleaning Dodi, Mema Betty, and Gramma have done for us! It’s amazing the mess our little family can make in a short period of time! Thank you all so much for your generosity!

I’m doing GREAT! Chemo really didn’t affect me much this time – I have been a little nauseated but my nausea medicine has worked great! I haven’t thrown up one time! THANK YOU JESUS!!! I am finally walking and talking just as good as I was before cancer! I can even chase my Grandpops with my huge bears again – a game everyone was glad to see me play! Mama has some short films of me talking that she’ll try to email if the files aren’t too large.

I got to see my Uncle Chris and Aunt Lora on Sunday. They came in to celebrate their birthdays and Gramma’s birthday with us. We had a wonderful day playing! I can’t wait ‘til Thanksgiving because my cousin, Ana, will be at Gramma’s too! I just love playing with everyone!

I have a three day round of chemo scheduled for the weekend before Thanksgiving. We are already praying that I do good and feel well afterwards so I can enjoy the holiday with family. We’re also praying that everyone stays well and Mama feels better so we don’t have to worry about getting me sick. I know Jesus will make sure Thanksgiving is perfect no matter what happens!

I LOVE YOU all so much!
Have a safe and HAPPY HALLOWEEN!
And THANK YOU AGAIN for all the help you’ve given and prayers you’ve said for us! Jesus is listening!
Love,
Jayci Joy


October 25, 2007

HIDEE! It’s Thursday evening at 10:30 p.m. and they JUST started my chemo!! I was at the doctor’s office this morning at 9:30 and they did my bloodwork. It was PERFECT – just like it should be. The doctors and nurses are all very impressed with me – I now weight 23 ½ lbs. and am 31 1/5 “ long! Can you believe I have grown so much! I am doing great – it’s my mommy that is sick now! She hasn’t been feeling very good for about a week and finally decided she had better go to the doctor on Wednesday – Dr. Jubay says he thinks mommy has Hepatitis A – they sent off her blood work and we should know for sure next Tuesday – in the meantime, mommy really needs prayers so she can feel better and take care of busy, busy me! This past week I decided that walking like the big girls do is no problem! I go everywhere now! AND last Tuesday I took my bear to my Granpops and took off running so he would chase me with it – mommy and gramma were speechless! This was a game Granpops and I played before I got sick and I remembered the game all by myself. I am trying really hard to climb now – I think pretty soon I will have it mastered. Mom doesn’t seem as excited about my climbing everything – I don’t know why!!! =)
Daddy is still working very hard harvesting all the crops-so Grammy Ju and Gramma are here with to take care of me during chemo – THANK YOU Estela and Tammy for helping Gramma so she could be with me and mommy! AND we are are all so thankful Grammy Ju lives close to us and helps me and mommy so much. A girl can never have enough grandmas, you know!
Pop Nicky, Uncle Trey, and Kathy came to see me at the hospital – I loved seeing them. I walked all over the hospital and showed it to them and even introduced them to my favorite nurses – it was so much fun!
I will finish chemo about 1:00 a.m. – and I should get to come home on Friday afternoon. Mommy or Gramma will let you know how I am doing. Gramma says mommy is much better at sending my e-mail, but at least Gramma gets the word out. Thank you for your love and prayers – and today could you pray for my mommy too – I sure would appreciate it!
I LOVE YOU!
Jayci Joy


October 18, 2007

HIDEE! Gosh it’s been a CRAZY week! I had to spend a couple days in the hospital earlier this week because I got a tummy bug – YUCK! I made it home late Tuesday night, had a BUSY day at home yesterday (my physical therapist, speech therapist, and nutritionist all came plus we had to do laundry and pack), and came back for chemo today. Mama and Grammy Ju think I’m too smart for my own good – I did not take a good nap yesterday and haven’t slept very good the past two nights and wouldn’t you know, Brenda just called and said my blood counts are not good enough for chemo! Soooooo. . .we get to go back home and try again next Thursday! I think its GREAT NEWS – to bad Mama, Daddy, and Grammy Ju don’t feel the same way. They keep telling me the sooner we complete chemo the sooner we get to redo all my tests, have surgery, and be DONE with CANCER once and for all!!! I suppose they’re right but sometimes a girl just needs a break you know!
We also learned some rotten news when I was in the hospital earlier this week; Dr. Regueira and Dr. Turner told me I’d have to go through 3 more rounds of chemo before they would retest and see if my tumor is small enough to surgically remove. I was counting on being through with all this cancer mess before the holidays but it doesn’t look like that’s going to happen now. Mama was pretty upset at first - which of course upset me – but then she and I talked about it and decided Jesus must know surgery just isn’t safe right now. He continues to heal me and make me stronger everyday and I know He’ll make sure my body is completely ready for surgery before the tests are redone.
I’m doing wonderful and all my doctors, nurses, and therapists continue to marvel at the rapid progress I’ve made – they tell me I’m rewriting the “kids with cancer” book! Mama said that means I’m showing kids that cancer doesn’t have to run your life and can be beat as long as we put Jesus in control. I got to meet a new friend at the hospital earlier this week and I shared my story with his sister and daddy. His name is Jake Cowley and he has a virus that attacked his heart and was not given a very good chance to live either – his Mama and Daddy also put Jesus in control and his little, infant body is going to be healed. I promised his sister I would tell all of you about him so you would pray for him when you prayed for me. Your prayers have made me the miracle I am and have healed many other kids too! THANK YOU!
I’ll try to get mama to update you before next Thursday and maybe send some pictures too! Thank you for your continued prayers and support!
I LOVE YOU!
Jayci Joy


October 11, 2008

HIDEE! Boy have things been busy around my house! I’ve had Speech, Physical, and Occupational Therapy, had a visit from Developmental Services, had to have my bloodwork done TWICE, helped Daddy on the farm, played with the cousins, been to the pumpkin patch. . .I can’t even remember everything that has happened during the last 10 days! All of it has been really, really fun – EXCEPT the bloodwork! I had it done last Thursday and the results weren’t good (I was still neutropenic) so they made me do it again today. The nurse wasn’t able to get my arm to draw so she pricked my finger and squeezed and squeezed and squeezed until she got enough blood to run the tests – OUCH! I was very brave despite the unpleasant circumstance and was thrilled to get home and find TWO packages for me on the front porch!!! My friend, Stacie and her kids and Uncle Bubba (Timmie) and his family sent me all kinds of cool stuff! Mama said they sent it because I’ve been so brave during the past few months. Let me tell you, it was all worth it! THANKS GUYS!!!
I got to go to the Kettner’s pumpkin patch last week. It was WAY COOL! The Newberry family, the Kettner’s, and Emma and Desi were all there at the same time I was - which was GREAT! Addyson and I really enjoyed playing in the dirt together! I’m going to be sweet like her when I get bigger; she does everything I want to do!
I spent one evening at Pop Nick’s house with the cousins last week. We partied until late – it was good to see all of them! You should hear me say all their names! I do a good job!
I also got to show off the cute overalls Gramma made me last Friday! She is a very talented lady! I’m just glad I’m one of the people who benefit from her work!
All of my therapy sessions have gone great! I’m walking good, talking ALL THE TIME, eating like I’m ‘posed to, etc. I think I’ll get dismissed soon!
I have a round of chemotherapy next week – (Oct. 18th). Thank goodness it is only a 1 day session! Mama, Daddy, and I pray it will be the last! Hopefully the Dr.’s will do another CT Scan and my tumor will be small enough to surgically remove. The holidays are coming up and we all want to spend them together, at home, and CANCER FREE!
Thank you for your continued prayers! Jesus is listening and gives me new strength everyday!
Love You!
Jayci Joy


October 1, 2007

Home at last! We made it home early yesterday afternoon. Jayci is doing wonderful! We spent the afternoon playing in the corn and helping Guy work (I don’t think we were much help!) Jayci slept great again last night and is walking, talking, and playing more than ever today. If there were such a thing as a “perfect” chemo round, we had it. Jayci was happy the entire time, never got nauseated, slept good at night and during nap time, was cooperative with the nurses. . .God is GREAT! We thank you so much for your continued prayers! We are scheduled for chemo on Oct. 18th.- we are hopeful it will be the last. Jayci will be reevaluated after that chemo round to see if surgery is possible. It would be wonderful to have surgery at the end of October and be rid of cancer forever! Our hearts would be full of Thanksgiving – just in time for the holidays!
We love you all!
God Bless You,
Kimberly


September 29, 2007

HIDEE! Things have been going GREAT! I had a reaction to Benadryl on the first day of chemo; it made me CRAZY! Dr. Turner started giving me steroids instead of Benadryl and they seem to work – I haven’t gotten a rash from the Etoposide yet! The steroids do dilate my pupils and make me a little uneasy but Mama, Gramma, and Grammy Ju said they can handle that; it’s much better than the awful reaction I had to Benadryl!
I have had two AWESOME days! I have played, slept good, and just been a little princess. Dr. Turner said I can go home first thing in the morning if I keep doing so good. J
I’ve seen just about every nurse, therapist, and doctor I’ve ever had this hospital stay. I am very sweet to them. They just LOVE me!
Thank you so much for praying for me. Like Dr. Kim said when she saw me, “MIRACLES DO HAPPEN!”
Love,
Jayci Joy


September 27, 2007

HIDEE! We just checked into the hospital in record time! Mama and Grammy Ju have the unloading part down to an art! Of course valet helps us these days – they know exactly who I am now and even know which bags go up to the room! I smile at them and tell them “Thank You” everytime!
Everything went GREAT this morning! I just love Brenda, Dr. Regueira’s nurse, she does a great job accessing my port everytime! After my bloodwork was complete we got to go eat waffles, one of my favorite foods, and even had time to play outside at the Ronald McDonald House. They have a cool swingset you know.
I should start chemo shortly. I’ll be here until Sunday and will make sure Mama keeps all of you updated!
Thanks so much for the extra prayers this weekend!
Love,
Jayci Joy


September 24, 2007

HIDEE! Sorry I didn’t get to send an email yesterday, things kinda got crazy! I did get to see Disney’s Princess on Ice last night though! It was wonderful! I just LOVED the music and bright colors – my favorite part was The Little Mermaid dance with bubbles and fish and the Mulan dragon – it really breathed fire! I danced and clapped during the whole show! Mama tried to take pictures of me dancing during the show but the people working said she couldn’t do that. I did get to have some pictures made during intermission and after the show – I looked very cute in the princess outfit Gramma got for me. It was a GREAT evening!
We are home for now. Mama and Daddy have to give me IV antibiotics every 8 hours. They do a pretty good job and I have been very cooperative so far. We are supposed to go back to the doctor in the morning for some bloodwork. Hopefully I’ll get to have my port deaccessed until Thursday when I start another round of chemo. That thing is wonderful for the jobs it does but sometimes it’s a real pain. It gave everyone fits the entire night before we came home – they had to reaccess it 4 times! OUCH! I was very brave and sweet to the nurses about it. I told them it was messed up – I pointed to it, cried, and kept repeating “OW!” It didn’t take them long to figure out the needle had come out of my port and the fluids were going in under my skin. It was extremely painful and scared Mama to death. It took 2 times to reaccess it then and it still didn’t work! Mama made them do an x-ray to make sure the port was okay and thank goodness it was! Gramma had stayed the night with us and she and Mama prayed – when 2 people agree in prayer Jesus listens and answers you know! Needless to say it was a very long and sleepless night! The port quit working again yesterday morning and the nurses had to reaccess it again. At least it worked the first time and I got to rest all day! Last night made everything worthwhile!
Well – I’d love to tell you more, but I’m really sleepy. Those antibiotics just wear me out! I really enjoyed the time I got to spend with Grammy Ju and Gramma this weekend; I don’t know what we’d do without their help! I also loved getting to see Nena, Aunt Billie Jean, and Kambree and Sierra yesterday– playing with people makes the hospital stay all worthwhile! I love you so much and will try to get Mama to update as much as possible! Thanks so much for your prayers!
Love,
Jayci Joy
P.S. (Mama said to tell you that I’m really talking good now and my walking improves daily!)


September 22, 2007

HIDEE! Today has been a good day! I got to go for several rides in my car and got to play with Kali and Kenzie (Grammy Ju’s granddaughters) before my nap. I’m feeling much better too! Dr. Regueira said he’d do his best to get me out of here for Disney’s Princess on Ice tomorrow afternoon. I can’t wait!
I’m still enjoying my HUGE room; we’re still in a rehab. room because pediatrics is overfull! All the old people think I’m wonderful; I just LOVE waving and talking to them.
THANK YOU SO MUCH for keeping me in your prayers!
I’m doing great!
Love you!
Jayci Joy



September 21, 2007

Surprise! We're back in the hospital again! Guy and I brought Jayci in late last night – she hadn't been feeling well for a couple days and her fever got up to 101.5. We had done some routine bloodwork yesterday morning which didn't come back good either. (Her levels were down to 60 when they should be over 1,000 – needless to say she is neutropenic and very susceptible to infection.) Dr. Regueira and Dr. Turner agreed she needed to be admitted to receive IV antibiotics and GCSF to reboot her immune system. So. . .here we are! Jayci is already feeling much better – she even got to go to an "end of chemo" pizza party for one of her fellow cancer buddies! Of course she enjoyed playing with the water guns and silly string more than anything – it's just so good to see her laughing and playing.
Grammy Ju came this morning so Guy could get home and harvest and Gramma is on her way. I don't know what we'd do without them! They're AWESOME help!
We are praying Jayci is well enough to go see Disney's Princess on Ice Sunday afternoon. We know she'd just LOVE it! Dr. Regueira said he'd do his best to get her there. We know that prayer will help get her there too!
Today has been great despite being in the hospital. Cousin, Amberlee Steinbock came and played with Jayci for quite awhile and Jayci also got to sing with the music therapist. She is in the middle of a much needed nap now. J
I'll keep you informed throughout the weekend!
Thanks so much for the prayers!
God Bless You,
Kimberly


September 17, 2007

HIDEE! I have some GREAT news! I’m WALKING! I’ve been practicing really hard and finally have enough confidence to walk by myself! I still crawl when I need to get somewhere fast – I’m a pro at that you know.
I also wanted to tell you that Brenda, Dr. Reguira’s nurse, called and said I don’t have to have chemo until next Thursday, September 26. She was studying my roadmap today and figured out they were off schedule – they forgot I am a week behind because I was neutropenic before the last round of chemo. That’s just fine with me. I’ll have more time to practice walking and can really show off for everyone next time! I like to have a new trick everytime I go in for chemo; all the doctors and nurses clap and cheer for me and I LOVE the attention!
I’m going to send some pictures with this email. Mama hasn’t been doing a very good job lately. She says it’s because Daddy and all her helpers are really busy and all she has time to do is take care of me and do stuff around the house. I think she’s making it all up – I can’t be that much work! (HA! HA!) She promised me she’d get better – I have a fan club that really needs to see me and I know it. J
I got to meet Baby Matthew today. He’s very handsome. I can’t wait ‘til he’s a little bigger so I can teach him all my tricks. I know Corey and Brianne will be very impressed with the things Mama and Daddy tell me to teach him. J
I also got to go to the football game with Gramma last Friday! It was tons of fun! Grammy Ju is back and I got to spend the day in Lubbock with her. I was soooo happy to see her that I skipped my nap and am extra tired tonight. Mama said it was okay though, she thinks it will make me sleep better – maybe in her dreams!
I love you all so very much! Thank you for keeping me in your prayers. I know Jesus is listening to them because he is helping me get better so fast - “I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me!” I’ll let you know how things are going in a few days!
Love,
Jayci Joy


September 13, 2007

Wow! It’s been a CRAZY day! Mom woke me up early this morning and took me to see Dr. Reguira so I could get my echocardiogram done and so we could see the results of my tests from last weekend. GOOD NEWS! My tumor is 33% smaller and is pulling away from my pulmonary artery and other important veins and organs! It is obvious the tumor is retracting toward my spine – probably where it began growing in the first place. Dr. Reguira was very pleased and told us that he wanted me to do 2 more rounds of chemo., retest, and hopefully the tumor will be away from all my vital organs and other important stuff so I can have it surgically removed and be done with all this yucky cancer stuff! Won’t that be GREAT?!
I was supposed to start chemo again today (yeah, it was a BIG surprise!) but my bloodwork wasn’t quite good enough. That’s a good thing though; I need a break and so does my mama! She hasn’t even finished the laundry from our last hospital stay yet! We are supposed to go back next Thursday to begin Round 5 of chemotherapy. By then we’ll all be rested and ready to go! J
I love you all very much and thank you for your prayers!
Jesus is healing my body!
Love,
Jayci Joy

As Jayci said, “It’s been a CRAZY day!” Jayci and I went to Amarillo this morning prepared for a quick echocardiogram (the results were perfect! J), good test results (which we got J), and an afternoon of celebration shopping and picture making. Boy did our plans change! The morning went as planned – God is so good – until we found out she had to begin another round of chemo TODAY! She and I definitely were not ready for that news. After undergoing the painful stick of accessing her port (I didn’t have time to get her numbing cream on) we rushed home to begin packing for the weekend trip. It’s amazing how God knows when we’ve been given more than we can handle; I’d just gone through Friona when the phone call came telling us that Jayci’s blood counts weren’t good enough for chemo. We both breathed a sigh of relief!
Since then we’ve been to Muleshoe to have Kyra deaccess Jayci’s port (THANK YOU SO MUCH KYRA!) and home again in time for Jayci to take a much needed nap.
The plan is to go through a 3 day round of chemo beginning next Thursday then a 2 day round beginning Oct. 5th. After these rounds Jayci will go through more testing and hopefully she’ll be able to undergo surgery to have the tumor removed!
God continues to answer so many of our prayers. We could not have asked for better test results than the ones given to us today. What an AWESOME GOD!
I’ll let you know how things go next week! We love you all and thank you from the bottom of our hearts for your continued prayers!
By the way - I promised Jayci we’d find a day before her next round of chemo to take her shopping and to have her picture made. She was very happy to hear that news! J
Love,
Guy and Kimberly


September 9, 2007

HI! I’m nearly finished with ALL my tests and we’ll be headed home around 2 o’clock a.m.! HOORAY! Dr. Ormson, the audiologist, said I must have studied very hard for his test because I did EXCELLENT! My hearing is perfect! My bloodwork also looked good. We don’t know the results of my CT Scan or X-Ray yet – hopefully we’ll hear something tomorrow. It is Sunday you know. Mama and Daddy said I did a GREAT JOB this morning during my tests. I breathed perfectly on my own during the entire sedation and when I woke up I looked at my daddy and waved, smiled and said “HI!” I haven’t slept much today even though it was a really tough night last night and am still FULL of energy at midnight– I think I’m about to drive my mama insane. J I’m just really excited about going home!
Last night was tough because I didn’t get my catheter inserted and going until around 2 a.m.. – the nurses were all really busy and things got really crazy around the hospital. Then it took 3 tries to get my catheter right! Thank goodness Jesus heard me and Gramma and Mama praying – Tara (one of my favorite PICU nurses) came and did it for me after the nurse taking care of me couldn’t get it to work. It really hurt and I was sore today – thank goodness I only have to wear it for 2 more hours!
Today ended up being fun though. My Granpops, Aunt Jan, and Sheri all came to see me. I was sad I didn’t get to met Sheri’s daughter, Lanae, but mama said we’d go see her soon.
Gramma helped load up most of my stuff before she headed home – boy is she tired! I don’t think she got any sleep last night! Please say an extra prayer for her – she really needs to get some rest; Mama and I require quite a bit of energy you know!
I promise I’ll make mama or daddy help me write an email as soon as we know the results of my tests. I did a great job and I know you’ll all be proud of the results when they come in!
I love you all so very much and am looking forward to being home and seeing some of you again. Thank you so much for your continued prayers! I couldn’t make it without them!
Right now I’m going to help daddy finish loading the car and might let him get a little rest before our early morning drive home!
Love,
Jayci Joy


September 8, 2007

HIDEE! We’ve just started the last of my chemo! It should be complete by 11:30 – so far everything has gone great! After my chemo they are going to insert a catheter and begin my 24 hour urine test. I am scheduled for my catscan and hearing test at 9:00 in the morning – I will have to be sedated for them, but Dr. Nandu will be there. My daddy is coming too – I am so glad he will be with me. After these tests I will have a chest x-ray and heart echo and a lot of blood work. Mom says I will pass all my tests because Jesus has made me well. I think so too – I have had a great day today. My urine test will be 24 hours so I won’t be through with the tests until about midnight on Sunday – Mom and dad say all of you will be praying for me today – thank you!
I love you all!
Jayci Joy


September 7, 2007

HIDEE! Day 2 of my hospital stay has been pretty good! I got to ride in my car up and down the halls and even outside! My Aunt Billie Jean says I just need candy to throw – I wave and say “Hi!” to everyone – and with my Miss America wave and smile everyone thinks I am the cutest kid here!! Mom, Gramma, and Aunt Billie Jean all agree!
I did have an upset stomach this morning – and I threw up on Mommy a couple of times – we had a LOT of showers today! Mommy says it is good to be clean and we have to keep the chemo off of my skin (and Mommy’s too!) I felt good this afternoon and played a lot.
This morning I had a student come by and do music therapy with me – I LOVED IT! She played her guitar and sang songs to me – she even let me play her guitar with her! I sat for nearly 45 minutes and just listened. Mom says Daddy has a guitar and knows how to play and sing – Daddy, get ready, I want you to play and sing to me!
Amberlee came to see me today – I was asleep when she came, but she left a special surprise for me. I loved opening my new present and was so excited to find my WTAMU cheerleading suit in it!! I hugged it and loved it – Thank you, Amberlee, Mom says we are going to watch you cheer and I get to wear it! I can’t wait – We will have our picture made together again!!
The best news today was the doctors told mom that when they listen to my lungs, they cannot hear any air restriction from the tumor! The nurse had to ask my mom where the tumor was supposed to be, because she couldn’t hear any air restriction!! How about that! We know Jesus has worked a miracle and that the tumor is gone!! I have one more day of Chemo and then all the tests – I am going to pass them all, you just wait and see!! Thank you for praying for me -
I can’t wait to see all of you again!
Love,
Jayci Joy

It is 10:15 and we are nearing the end of chemo – round 2. Jayci had a minor reaction at the beginning of the treatment, but the rash subsided quickly – God does answer prayer. She has had a little nausea today – but overall she has done very well.
She enjoyed seeing everyone today and had a great afternoon and evening. We will have another day of chemo tomorrow and then the tests will begin on Sunday. We hope that we will be home either Sunday or Monday! Your prayers continue to be the source of our strength. We can never thank you even for your constant support of Jayci and us. Our God is a mighty God – and Jayci is one of his miracles. We will keep you updated.
God Bless You,
Kimberly


September 6, 2007

HIDEE! It’s 8:45 and we just now started chemo! My weight had changed too much again and they had to remix my drugs before we could start. That’s okay though; I got to run up and down the hall and play with all the cool toys in the playroom before chemo started. I even got to see my friends! All 3 of my most favorite nurses worked today! I’m soooo lucky! Dr. Habersang got to see me for a few minutes and said he’d be back tomorrow to play – I can’t wait! Dr. Nandu also came by during my nap and said he’d be back to see me too! All the nurses have told them how good I’m doing. Everyone just LOVES me here you know. I love them very much too!
I have to go through 3 days of chemo then a round of tests before I get to come home. Mama thinks it will be sometime Monday afternoon. Dr. Regueira said I only have to have a CT Scan, an echo of my heart, a hearing test, and some bloodwork! HOORAY! I’m a pro at all those tests! They won’t even have to sedate me for any of them! Jesus answered our prayers!
I can’t wait to see all of you again! Please keep me in your prayers.
Love,
Jayci Joy

It’s approaching midnight and Jayci has done beautifully so far – we’re nearly through with her second drug and will begin the 3rd in a few minutes. Gramma should make it to the Ronald McDonald House by one – THANK YOU GRAMMA!!! Guy is right in the middle of harvest and couldn’t make it this round and Grammy Ju is in Tennessee helping Stacie with her new, beautiful baby girl. We miss them both but know they are where they need to be right now. Gramma, Aunt Billie Jean and I are handling things pretty good I think. JJayci has had an AWESOME week! Cousin Mia spent the day with us Tuesday and she and Jayci had a blast! Jayci even learned a new word, “NOOOOO!” She and Mia make sure no one borrows their binks (pacifiers) – you’d think they’d learn to leave each others alone too. I really enjoyed watching them play! We took her back to church Sunday – she hasn’t been since her diagnosis – she LOVED it! It was awesome see her smile and clap for Grady’s music! It was as though she knew she was in Jesus’ house and could see him sitting next to Brother Stacy – it was a wonderful experience for all of us.
She has 3 days of chemo again this round then a series of tests. I’m confident she will do great! God has answered so many of our prayers already – I wish all of you could see her! She is truly a miracle! We know you’ll keep her in your prayers as always! We couldn’t make it without them! I’ll keep you informed as often as possible. You’ll have to be patient with me though – Gramma and I have never gone it alone before! J
God Bless You,
Kimberly


August 30, 2007

To the doctor’s office. . .and home again. After some lab work this morning we learned Jayci is neutropenic; her blood counts aren’t good enough to go through chemo. So we are home for now. We will report back to the doctor next Thursday morning and try again. The good news for today is Jayci will not have to go through a bone marrow test again since the first one was negative! Praise God! She will have to have another CT Scan, MRI, EKG, EEG, hearing test. . .during next week’s round. Dr. Reguira said they will go ahead with the tests while Jayci is in the hospital rather than wait 3 weeks. We are praying the tumor is gone and Jayci is back in perfect health. She definitely looks and acts normal. J We’ll update you as things progress next week. Thank you for keeping Jayci in your prayers!
God Bless You,
Guy and Kimberly


August 29, 2007

HIDEE! We’re heading to Amarillo for Round 4 of Chemotherapy. At least I got to have lots of good days between rounds! I’ve spent several days with my cousins – they even got to spend the night with me once – and many more with friends and family! Emma Rae and I are becoming good buddies and we got to go see our newest friend, Presley, in the hospital yesterday! Time sure flies when you’re having fun! Daddy is only going to get to stay for the first day of chemo this time; he is harvesting peas already and mama and I decided he was needed at home more than in the hospital with us. We’re sure going to miss him but we know Grammy Ju and Gramma are more than happy to fill his shoes for him! I love you all bunches and will make sure mama sends updates daily!
Please remember to say special prayers for me - they’ve made me sooooo much better!
Love,
Jayci Joy

Our Jayci is doing WONDERFUL! She becomes more independent everyday! She will even play by herself every now and then! We have had an amazing few weeks. Guy and I can’t wait for the nurses and doctors to see her – she is AMAZING! THANK YOU for your continued prayers – seeing her is proof they are working!
This round of chemo will last 3 days again. She will receive 3 drugs on Thursday and 1 on Friday and Saturday. She has had all of them in previous rounds and we are confident she will do wonderfully this time. I took time to study Jayci’s roadmap and think she will not have to go through any major tests until September 20th. We’ll know for sure by tomorrow evening. We THANK YOU in advance for keeping Jayci in your prayers this weekend! We love you all and will keep you informed of her progress throughout the weekend!
God Bless You,
Guy and Kimberly


August 21, 2007

Hidee! (Just one of the MANY words I’ve started saying!) I’ve had a very FUN week! Mama has taken me to see people almost everyday! We’ve been to Gramma’s school, to visit the cousins, to work with Daddy, to the movies, to Granpops’ birthday party, to see my boyfriend, Keller. . .I can’t even remember all the places we’ve been! It’s been a BLAST! I’ve finally gotten this chemo thing mastered! I surprise mama everyday with the new stuff I do. I just keep reminding her I much I LOVE people – you’re the ones who’ve prayed and gotten me this far you know. The cousins even taught me how to CRAWL again! I just love chasing them around! I’m also trying really hard to walk again. I’ll get it down soon! I hope you enjoy the pictures I sent! Sorry my email is so short, a BUSY girl has to get her sleep you know!
I LOVE YOU VERY MUCH!
Jayci Joy

WOW! It’s been a CRAZY but AMAZING week! JAYCI JOY IS CRAWLING! She has also started taking a few steps! Needless to say, I haven’t done very many “productive”things this week – we’ve just played! When viewing the pictures attached to this email, I was astonished at the progress she’s made even since her last chemo round! I now understand the surprised comments I get from those of you who see her every once in awhile – she does progress quickly! We are truly blessed to have so many prayers being sent up for Jayci – like mom said, Jayci’s progress is the result of prayer. I just wish all of you could see God’s promises at work! We head back for round 4 of chemotherapy Thursday, August 30th. During this round Jayci will be undergoing many tests to see how the mass has responded to the chemo. Some of the tests she will undergo include a bone marrow test, MRI, CT Scan, EEG, EKG. . .I can’t even name them all. I’ll be emailing updates throughout her stay. I feel confident the tests will show positive results! God continues to answer our prayers!
We love you and pray for His blessings for you daily!
(Sorry to be so short – Jayci has flat worn us out! We’ll update you again soon!)
Guy and Kimberly


August 13, 2007

The power of prayer is AWESOME! Round 3 of chemotherapy is over and Jayci is doing GREAT! We made it home yesterday afternoon, she slept good last night and is happily playing today. THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH for keeping her in your prayers! They are definitely working!
We go back this Thursday for labs and are scheduled for Round 4 to begin on Thursday, August 30th. We think Jayci will be crawling by then and are praying she is also walking! Her progress is amazing. She is speaking more and doing more, physically, everyday. She is still extremely frustrated at her inability to maneuver. What can I say except she occupies every minute of my day! We both live for the day she regains her independence!
We’ll keep you updated as much as possible during the next 2 weeks – Jayci still has her good and bad days. That’s just the way chemo goes. We thank you for your continued prayers!
God Bless You!
Guy and Kimberly
Here is a message from Jayci:
vCZXZDCdsCcdx rvlmkkmv ,,mym unggggg
It says:
I LOVE YOU VERY MUCH!


August 11, 2007

HIDEE! (Yes, I’m starting to say it again. J) I had a GREAT night – I keep telling daddy I need a big girl bed at home and I’d sleep good there too. A princess needs her space you know. Chemo went AWESOME yesterday. Brother Stacy came and prayed with me right before it started and boy did it make a difference. I was doing jumping jacks on the bed immediately after it was over! Everyone was AMAZED! I complete this round of chemo this afternoon – would you please stop and pray for me around 4:00? It made a HUGE difference yesterday and know it will help me today too. My daddy had to go home today because he got sick. I guess we’re still passing our yucky virus around. Would you pray that he feels better soon? I love him very much and am really going to miss him tonight. He can’t be around me for a couple days because I’m neutropenic now and will catch everything! Hopefully I’ll get to go home tomorrow. If things keep going as good as they have been I’ll get to for sure! I’m doing soooooo good. Thank you all so much for everything you do for me and my family. We’re very lucky to have friends like you!
I love you all very much!
Jayci Joy


August 10, 2007

Good Morning! I just had my bath and am about ready to take a snooze on Grammy Ju’s lap. I had a decent night – it’s hard to get rest in a hospital you know! It seems like every time I fall asleep someone comes to wake me up – oh well, at least they take excellent care of me! Chemo went pretty good. I had an allergic reaction to one of the drugs that caused a nasty rash on my face and head. They stopped the drug for 30 minutes and gave me some Benadryl and Tylenol - I did fine after that. I only got sick 1 time this morning and was given something to help with the nausea – I’ve done great ever since! We will begin chemo again around 6:30 tonight – I’ll have to take Benadryl and Tylenol again because it is the same drug that caused the allergic reaction last night. The doctors and nurses are very pleased with how I’m handling the drugs. I just keep telling them any girl would do GREAT if she had as many prayers being said for her as I do. (THANK YOU SO MUCH!) I love you all very much and will make sure mama and daddy continue to keep you updated.
-Jayci Joy


August 9, 2007

We are just starting chemo – it will last until about 10:30 tonight. Jayci got a great report from the oncologists this morning. She weighs 21 ¾ pounds and is 30 ¼ inches long. – she has nearly regained all her weight – PRAISE GOD! We’ll keep updating as things progress. She really enjoyed seeing TEXAS last night; the singing and dancing was her favorite part! Thanks so very much for keeping her in your prayers. They are working!
God Bless,
Guy & Kimberly


August 8, 2007

Hello Friends! Mama finally got everything ready and we’re in the car headed to Amarillo for round 3 of chemotherapy. This is going to be a BIG ROUND! The doctors are hitting me with more drugs this time AND the treatment will last for 3 whole days! We have to report to BSA at 9:00 in the morning and treatment should start sometime tomorrow afternoon. Would you please say LOTS of prayers for me this week? Jesus has helped me so much and I know I’ll need him to get through this round.

Things have been going GREAT at my house! I’ve starting talking again and of course I said Daddy way before I even tried to say Mama. I can say HI, UH-OH, and DADDY very good and am working on several other words, they just aren’t as clear as the 3 I just mentioned. I’m also sitting and pulling up and every once in awhile I’ll try to crawl. I hated crawling the first time and think I should get to skip it and walk this time around! It’s only fair you know.

I have had lots of fun since my last hospital stay. Grammy Ju and Gramma still visit nearly everyday – except for the days they’ve been sick. I gave them my virus – oops! I’ve seen my Nickels’ cousins and spent some time with Emma Rae and a few other friends. I’ve really only felt good for the past 5 days. That’s just the way chemo goes though. You finally feel better and BOOM they hit you again! Oh well – I’m going to beat this cancer and be all better very soon!

I’m getting pretty restless and think mama should entertain me – so sorry for the short email! Mama or Daddy will keep you updated as the treatment days pass!

Love you all LOTS!
Jayci Joy


August 4, 2007

Jayci's doing AWESOME! She and I are nearly over our illness - THANK GOODNESS! She is starting to talk a little and will pull up on things with a little assistance! ECI (Early Childhood Intervention) came yesterday and were extremely impressed with her. Their services should begin sometime next week. We are going to see the play TEXAS with the Sybil B. Herrington Foundation on Wednesday evening and will report Thursday morning at the hospital for round 3 of chemotherapy. Our Jayci is doing so good - we are very proud of her progress and know she will be back to her old self very soon. Please continue lifting her up in prayer - HE is the power that is healing Jayci and we have faith she will make a full recovery with his help very soon!
God Bless,
Guy and Kimberly

No comments: